Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

We Are Blessed

I had occasion to go through Vilonia, AR today on my way to Conway for an appointment.  I have prayed many prayers for many days for the people there since we had that devastating April storm.  Although I hate to admit it, I have been wanting to see exactly how much destruction that tornado did in that unfortunate tiny town.

As embarrassing as it is to say this, the base, animal side of me wanted to be able to ooh and ahh over how much I figured I would see.  Kind of like when you pass a wreck and your head involuntarily jerks to the side just as you're going by.  It's as if some force takes over you and you have no control of which way your head goes.  You're mind says 'no,' but your body says 'I'm gonna.'  It's human nature.  I wonder why that is......That's for another day, though.

I had heard that the grocery store was gone.  I had heard that the town was unrecognizable.  I had heard that you couldn't even tell that there used to be a Sonic.  I was on the lookout for certain landmarks  to be gone that I use each time I go through Vilonia.  I wondered if the T-shirt shop would still be there.  I drove with anticipation and growing......something.....dread?.....excitement?  Boy, did I feel guilty.

But what I found as I slowly drove through (more slowly than usual--I didn't want to miss anything) was that there was more of Vilonia still in tact than there was destroyed.  But wait!  I thought Harp's was supposed to be gone.  I saw the Sonic looking as bright and red and yellow as ever.  There was the gas station and the T-shirt shop....

And you know, as it slowly dawned on me that all that I had heard was not what was true, I felt a sense of gratitude that somehow at least some of the tiny town of Vilonia was spared from that horrible night in April.  It was a welcome relief, actually.  I had no idea I would react that way, but as I continued driving through I thanked God for sparing all the people and places and things that were spared.  I really was thankful that so many more people survived than died, and so much more property was still standing than what was destroyed.

I prayed again for the people of Vilonia.  They need all the prayers and help they can get.  I thanked God for all the blessings in my life.  ALL of them, even the ones I don't see right now as blessings.  You know, the ones I currently see as thorns in my side.  I'm reminded of that song that goes..."Jesus bring the rain..." if that's what it takes to bring the blessings in this life.  I may have the lyrics wrong, but you get the gist.

We are all truly blessed by the Lord.  Driving through Vilonia today reminded me of just how much.

1 comment:

  1. I was shocked, too, when I first went through there last week. I expected to see more damage. Tim has driven it some, and he says that the area that really got hit, really got hit. But it wasn't as widespread as all the original reports. When I first heard all those reports, though, I thought of all I take for granted. You are so right... We ARE all truly blessed by the Lord!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am blessed to have the family and friends that I do. I falter daily, but I work on improving myself and hopefully that translates into more meaningful relationships with those I love.